S'mores Crispy Rice and Marshmallow Treats (Recipe)
A s’mores twist on crispy rice and marshmallow treats (often known by the brand name “Rice Krispies Treats”). Marshmallows are already part of the usual recipe, so this adds chocolate and graham crackers, giving them a darker color.
- 4 1/2 cups of crispy rice cereal
- 6 sheets of graham crackers (about 1 1/2 cups crushed)
- 10 ounces of marshmallows
- 4 tablespoons (or 2 ounces) of unsalted butter
- 2.3 ounces of milk chocolate (1 1/2 standard-size Hershey’s chocolate bars)
- Crush the graham crackers into small pieces. (You can put them into a plastic bag and use your hands.)
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a saucepan on low heat.
- Maintaining low heat, slowly add the marshmallows to the saucepan and stir until they are melted.
- Turn off the heat, then add the crispy rice cereal and graham crackers into the saucepan.
- Stir until the ingredients are well mixed.
- Grease an 8-by-8 inch cake pan and transfer the mixture from the saucepan to the cake pan.
- Flatten the mixture in the cake pan.
- Let the mixture in the cake pan cool for at least 30 minutes, then cut into a 4-by-4 grid.
- Remove the treats from the cake pan and serve.
- Add more graham crackers or chocolate if you prefer. Keep in mind that more graham crackers will make the treats denser.
- Some recipes for the traditional treats call for vanilla extract. I’m not sure how helpful it would be here, especially with the other added flavors, but it’s something to think about.
This post is also available on: Facebook